I was so encouraged to see another post related to my recent note on hunger awareness week. Hunger is a problem that, in my opinion, goes further than simply having nothing to eat. We all could benefit from thinking about nourishing, not just ingesting, our food choices.
So thanks, Llama Mama, for your beautiful lived-out faith and real solutions! What a blessing to hear from other people who find and share practical ways to eat healthy on a very limited budget. It's an excellent topic of honest discussion, and I thought a Thursday Thirteen list would be a good way to start contributing.
So, in honor of everyone living (by choice or need) on limited grocery funds, here are thirteen recipes and tips to help keep balance in your nutrition and your checkbook.
- Drink Water. I know, I know... this isn't a recipe. However, it really is the easiest way to stay within a limited budget. Other beverages can really add $$ to your grocery bill, often without much nutrition.
- Homemade Bread. This is the easiest way to know what's in your food. I know making bread sounds time-consuming, but it's really not a lot of hands-on time and this recipe makes enough for 2 large, nutritious loaves. Plus, fresh bread is delicious! Once the initial pantry items (whole wheat flour, white flour, yeast, buttermilk, honey) are on hand, it's quite cheap per-loaf.
- Simple Baked Chicken. Purchase the largest whole chicken you can find. I sometimes bake two, for extra leftovers (think soups, casseroles, enchilladas, pot pie, and #5 & #6 & #7). Select non-antibiotic, non-hormone induced, free range if you can, because it's healthier. Watch for sales, or look at Trader Joes or Costco. Slightly grease a pan, sprinkle on a bit of salt and pepper, and bake it in a 350-degree (F) oven for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until juices run clear.
- Smoothies. Very easy and satisfying snack or breakfast (or whenever?)... Combine plain yogurt, frozen berries (or fresh, if you have 'em), bananas, and - (if you like it a bit more liquid & have it on hand) - a bit of juice. Blend together. aaaahhhhh...... :)
- Chicken Salad with Apples & Raisins. Use the leftovers of #3 for a light dinner or great lunch. A little chicken goes a long way, and the added veggies & fruits make it a great meal all by itself. We enjoy this on pitas or whole wheat bread, or if you're low-carbing it, it's great by itself or with wheat crackers.
- Homemade Chicken Stock. Waste not, want not! After cleaning all of that meat from the baked chicken (#1), throw the bones in a large pot of water with a tsp of vinegar. Bring it to a boil, and then let it simmer (skimming the water ever so often) for a day. Strain it out, and you'll have a very nutrient-rich, delicious stock to use in lots of other recipes. It also keeps for months in a freezer.
- Lentils-n-Rice. This is an easy slow-cooker or one-dish meal. Rich in fiber & protein by itself! We just add a little sprinkle of cheese, raw veggies or fruit on the side (or a small salad), and viola!
- Pancakes. Add 1 cup of frozen blueberries when putting these on the griddle, and you really do have a good (though carb-rich) meal. The whole wheat option makes them even more filling. Think outside the box: pancakes were my favorite dinner when I was a kid!
- Potato Soup. The recipe makes enough for a small army! Freeze leftovers or make it with friends!
- Oatmeal. One of the best ways to start your day, and for around $0.50 a lb in most bulk sections of the grocery store, you can hardly beat it. Add blueberries (from that bag of frozen ones you bought for the pancakes & smoothies!), or raisins, and a bit of honey for sweetness.
- Cook together. Join somebody else to buy, prep, and cook a couple large meals or soups, then split the portions up to take home. You get the added bonus of time together, plus cost advantages (per serving) of buying in bulk.
- Fruit. In my original post on hunger, I was discouraged (or maybe just annoyed) by how he gave up a few bananas to fit into the foodstamp budget. I recognized the frustration of how fruit can be expensive, but it's worth it. Check the frozen isle - frequently these are affordable. Also, think fresh=local. Fruit's often as affordable as a package of snacks, and better all-around. Example: a bag of apples is relatively cheap, and if you slice 'em up thinly, it will supply enough snacks for a week.
- Buy Bulk. What you're getting in the bulk section: whole products and ingredients, in exactly the amount you need/want. What you're not getting: packaging, additives, and marketing. Good trade. Herbs, spices, grains, granolas, teas, dried fruits, flours... you'd be amazed at the selection and prices of buying bulk! As I looked at many of my recipes - if you buy some of those things n packages, it can really get expensive! You may have to ask around, but you can probably find bulk foods section in town. (Not to be confused with buying bulk, as in Costco, which is also useful)
So hopefully I have something of value in there. I've tried to give some new recipes in this and also floated some realistic ideas.
Grace,
MamaToo
p.s. there are lots of people who write interesting TT lists...
14 comments:
A great list for a great cause. There's definitely value in there; thanks for sharing!
My TT lists the 13 goals of a witch, with my thoughts on them.
Good list; it never hurts to try to stretch resources where possible, even if money's NOT an issue.
Happy TT!
Great list. I'd love to find someone to cook with, as I hate to cook just for one (when the hubby's not home). Cooking in a group would help get me off of the soup and salad rutt.
That is a great list! I need to print some of those recipes off. Happy TT!
A useful list, which I shall save to my delicious tags, and some very good points about food and justice. All of us should live more gently so we leave fewer traces. Thanks for the recipes, by the way. I am thinking of taking up cooking this summer; this is a great start.
We love homemade bread. My husband gets personally offended if I go out and buy a loaf instead of letting him bake one.
Hello - happy TT!
yum.... and it'll save me cash too?
Sounds good.
Thanks for the link, MamaToo...great list!
loved your list....my sister recently started to bake all her bread herself...I was thinking she was crazy....but now I am rethinking it! Very valuable TT Thanks!
Thanks for the encouragement. Obviously, a topic near & dear to me!
Homemade bread is probably one of my favorites. Now that Obi-1 is old enough to be trusted with dough and follow directions, it's great activity to knead it together!
A very useful TT list. Mine's about books again.
Great list!!! I'll keep this in mind :)
Happy Thursday!
Hey - is anyone thinking about doing their own "Foodstamp Challenge" (as refered to in my Meal Money post)... I thought maybe it would be good to try with somebody else.
I love this list! We already like to make smoothies, pancakes, rice and beans, and potato soup! You just can't beat the price on rice and beans and potato soup! We top our soup with cheese and bacon to get some protein in there, too.
Thanks so much for this list! I love the recipes you have listed. I really want to make the bread and the lentils and brown rice. MMm!
Post a Comment